Will it really be Epic?

WILL IT REALLY BE EPIC?

Well sure…I could tell you why, but let’s be serious, would you listen? As Douglas Adams put it, “Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” That being said, I won’t waste my time telling you why it's gonna be epic, you will just have to experience it yourself.

Friday, August 19, 2011

All of the Words

How do I speak of the indescribable to you?
I will try to explain these feelings that are true.
So looking to the sky I will sing and from my heart to You I bring…
All of the words in all of my life that could never explain and never describe
All of my love, which is nothing to hide so I lift up my hands and I worship,
I worship You.   (All of the Words – By Kutless)

I really feel that way sometimes. I ask “How do I speak of the indescribable to you?” all the time. How do I explain something as amazing as God’s love for me? It seems true that if I could give all of the words in all of my life, it could never explain and never describe all of the love in my life. How can I describe the best thing about me without ruining how special it is? How do I share something so remarkable without getting it turned around and messed up through my flawed understandings? How do I describe the indescribable?

 If you have read my blog before, you might know how I feel about analogies; you might know how misleading they can be. I have sat here trying to think of one that could even be a good start, and each one of them bothered me in some way because they were so incomplete or flawed. All I can say is that God’s love has a way of getting inside of you. It seeps down into the deepest parts of us like a liquid, takes hold and becomes a solid, and then begins to expand outward like light. As that light expands up and out, it grows brighter and warmer; I can then share that light with others. In a world that is cold and dim, God gives a me love that fills this world with joy and peace. Regardless of how messed up this world gets, I am at peace with it.

Because I seek God’s love, I am fastened to a safe and secure foundation. There is nothing else in my life that offers a guarantee to never fall apart, abandon me, or let me down. Not money, not friends, not even family can promise these things. In fact, my family at one time or another has done all three of those things. I love them, and they do try, but they will and have broken my heart. They are some of the best people I know, but they are in no way perfect, and are unfortunately prone to the human condition. There is nothing in this world, human or not, that I can say will never let me down… except for God. Even if I lost my job, my place to live, my family and everything else, there is still one thing that will not fall apart, abandon me, or let me down. God will not crumble, God will not fail. So when I let God get down inside of me, when I let him take hold, when I let him shine through me, I cannot crumble or fail.

Here again, I can’t explain what it’s like to have that kind of peace; the peace to never really have to worry about anything. I do worry, but not like I used to, and even now I only worry when I forget to sit in God’s chair of faith. (I should probably explain that for those of you who aren’t in my Sunday school class). I work constantly to have faith in God like I have faith in chairs. We as people see chairs and we sit in them. We don’t examine the chair; we don’t look at it from all angles, ask for the history of it, or test it. We just sit down in them. Why? Because we have been doing it all of our lives. From the time we were babies till the moment we die, we are using chairs every day. Because we do it every day with success, we build a blind trust in chairs and when we find one, we just sit in it. Now, obviously, God is not a chair, and there are times when chairs do fail, but let’s not get side tracked with the semantics of analogies. The point is, we have such great faith in chairs because we have consistently trusted them to hold us up and they have time and time again proven they will do so. This is how our faith in God should be. I can tell you now from my own experience, God has never let me down, has always held me up, and because of that, it gets easier and easier to trust him. (Okay, rabbit trail completed).

With my peace in God, knowing he will not fail me, and with his light and love dwelling in and overfilling out of me, I am truly happy. I live a life full of joy, lacking nothing. God’s love has changed me and has made me a better person for it; which is why I believe in him. I read the Bible, go to church and pray to God not because I think some guy in the cloud told me to. I don’t believe what I do so that one day I won’t go to hell or be punished. I believe what I do because it is the best way I know of to live. I don’t know every philosophy there is, but out of the ones I have studied in my education or elsewhere, nothing compares to God and his love.

So I figure I have done a pretty poor job of explaining how amazing God’s love is. I know I haven’t even scratched the surface of describing how happy he makes me, how he quiets the calamity around me and gives me peace, how he empowers me to do things I would never have done without him, how he makes me free to live the best life a person can. Because I can’t describe the indescribable as well as I would like, as Kutless said, I guess I will just lift my hands and worship God.

1 comment:

  1. Love the chair analogy. Thanks for posting; I appreciate your words.

    ReplyDelete